With so many baby products on the market, it can be hard to know what you really need and what is just a nice extra. Here’s a rundown of the essentials to help you with your shopping list.
- At least eight all-in-one suits will be very handy. Small babies tend to live in these during their first few months and really don’t need to wear anything else, apart from a vest underneath in winter and a cardigan over the top if it is cold.
- At least six vests, also known as body suits, with envelope necks and poppers underneath. These can be worn under all-in-ones, or on their own if it’s hot. Short and long-sleeved versions are available for different times of the year.
- One or two cardigans to provide an extra layer of clothing.
- If it is winter, your baby may need a coat or all-in-one suit. If you spend a lot of time in the car, choose one that is not too thick, otherwise there’s a risk your baby will get too hot or you can buy online with big discount on some baby equipment prices .
- A soft cosy hat will be essential in winter. If your baby was premature, or the weather in summer is cool, a cotton jersey pull-on hat is also useful.
- If you choose all-in-one suits that cover your baby’s feet, you won’t need socks. They are very fiddly on newborn babies anyway and tend to keep falling off or get lost!
Baby products you need
- Avoid wasting money on non-essential baby equipment
- Consult our checklist of baby equipment to buy before your newborn baby arrives
- Baby products from pushchairs to child car seats, and Best Buy home appliances for new families.